Drug Policy Reform in the States
Reason is hosting a half day event featuring drug policy experts debating the merits of drug policy reform and discussing the state-level impact of the war on drugs. This event will take place immediately before the State Policy Network Annual Meeting in Seattle, August 23 - 26, 2011.
August 23, 2011
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Hyatt Regency Bellevue
- Roger Goodman, State Representative, 45th District, Washington State Legislature
- Alison Holcomb, Campaign Director, New Approach Washington
- Dale Gieringer, Director, California NORML
- Jacob Sullum, Senior Editor, Reason magazine
- Nick Gillespie, Editor in chief, Reason.com and Reason.tv
- Matt Welch, Editor in chief, Reason magazine
- Ethan Nadelmann, Executive Director, Drug Policy Alliance (Invited)
Topics covered will include:
- What has the impact of drug prohibition been on the states?
- Who is working for drug reform at the state level and why?
- What is the status of drug reform initiatives in Washington state?
- How has the war on drugs impacted cities across the U.S.?
- How will the conflicts between state and federal drug laws be resolved?
- What impact would relaxing drug laws have on crime and society?
- What role can state think tanks play in the reform of drug laws?
To learn more about the SPN Annual Meeting, visit http://www.spn.org/